Thursday, December 29, 2011

Looking Forward

As 2011 comes to an end, I find myself dreaming about new possibilities in 2012. One constant area of stress in my life is CLUTTER (I've struggled with this basically my whole life.) As a parent I now see a lot of those same "packrat tendencies" developing in my children, especially Joseph. I desperately need to change my habits, because not only are they negatively impacting my life, but my children don't need to live in a house full of chaos and stress. I've made many excuses over the years, but it is time to make big changes!

This week I started clearing out "stuff" and at first I was doing great...but then I started questioning whether or not I should get rid of things because "someone might be able to use it" or "I should save it for a yard sale." I also have a hard time getting rid of things that certain people gave me. It makes me almost physically sick to consider giving away something a beloved family member gave me...if they MADE it, you can forget about it! It is mine forever....even if I will never wear it or use it.

I've been reading some blogs and websites for motivation and that has helped. Jarrod told me the only thing he wants for his birthday is a decluttered house. His birthday is in March and he said he will help me every weekend that he's home. I want to make our house a place where he can relax on the weekends...instead of feeling constantly stressed out because of the clutter. I was able to spend most of the past 3 days working on the main living areas of our house. Our outside trash can is already full and I have given away lots of free items (books, toys, etc.) My goal isn't for our house to look like it came from the pages of Southern Living. I simply want it to be a place where friends can stop by at any time and I won't go into PANIC mode.

As a joke, my mom gave me a plaque that she bought at a thrift store. It says, "Although my house may be a mess, come in, sit down, converse. It doesn't always look like this, sometimes it's even worse." Even though this was a joke I still take it seriously and want to change the perception that people have about my house....I am ready to make it truly feel like a HOME!

5 comments:

  1. I commend your spirit and I am rooting you on. From the sidelines of course, I haven't quite made it there yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can do it girl! This is what I do that may help. Make three piles. 1. Throw Away, 2. Donate and 3. Keep. I am also sentimental about stuff and I just can't part with a card or something special someone gave me. I do have a rule for everything else, if I haven't used it or worn it in the last year or two years, I get rid of it. Put all books together on a bookshelf, go buy some organizing baskets for things. Target is having a sale! Organization is my thing, so if you need any help, let me know! Love ya! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in declutter mode too. We are blessed to have so much, but I understand the overwhelming feeling it can bring when things don't have a place to belong. I HATE to throw things away, but if I can give it to Goodwill where someone else may possibly benefit from it, I don't hesitate. Like Donna, if I haven't worn it or used it in 2 years, it is time to move one. Good luck! It is hard work, but well worth the reward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, there used to be a show on called Clean Sweep, which I loved. (Maybe there are episodes out there in YouTube land, if you are interested.) Anyway, one of the things they said was to take photos of those sentimental items that you no longer had a need for but couldn't bear to part with. As they said, the items are just things and it is the memory of it that is sentimental--so you can always bring back the good memories from the photos. I thought that was a great tip, because it really is the memory of someone giving us something special that sticks with us. I am also tired of excess clutter, etc. and that is one of my goals for 2012 as well. We will have to keep each other motivated. P.S. I need to get back to blogging too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey dana! just found your blog, and i think almost everyone struggles with this. you go! i think one thing i would add after this past summer that was my "summer of making the home" is: find a partner!! we had a girl living with us this summer who was awesome at this and when i wasn't motivated she was! kind of like working out with a partner. and a little mantra that you have heard JD use in another context that i tweaked for me was "if i say 'yes' to this (fillintheblank) am i saying 'no' to my family (their need for comfort/less stress)?" i have found that after the initial sadness of parting usually after i get rid of something i am happier to have the space it left behind for me:) keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete