Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Random things I think about when I can't sleep....

It is 12:37am and I need to go to sleep!! My brain just won't turn off and I keep thinking of very random things...some are things that I need to get done, others are just crazy things that pop into my head. Here are a few examples....

  • Earlier tonight I finished addressing 100 envelopes for letters that I am mailing to beg ask for support for 2 big upcoming events....I will write more details about those events later. I couldn't fall asleep because I kept trying to remember where all of my address labels were hidden. I finally got up and found them in a box under my bed.
  • While searching for the address labels, I saw a small container in my closet that contains the ashes of my precious dog, Georgie. Now that you are all creeped out, let me explain!! We had Georgie put to sleep when she was 13 years old. We want to scatter her ashes around the field behind our house where she loved to run and play...and swim in the pond! We don't want to do this when the boys are around, so we put the ashes in a safe place and we've been waiting for the right time to do it. It is really sad when you have to put "scatter dog's ashes" on your to-do list!
  • As I thought about Georgie, I remembered the time she fell through the ice in the pond behind our house. The other dogs barked like crazy and alerted my father-in-law. He called us and Jarrod ran into the freezing pond to get her out. I covered her with towels and blankets and gently laid on top of her to warm her up. The vet said she was a very lucky dog and she was completely fine after that incident.
  • This led me to think about our time in Wilmington when Georgie was just a little puppy. Jarrod and I got married in August of 1994 and we got Georgie in April of 1995 from my best friend, Cheryl. It was always just the 3 of us until we got crazy, hyper Gracie from the animal shelter in 1999. One time when Georgie was about a year old, I was driving down the road and heard this awful scratching noise....Georgie had rolled her head up in the window of the car!! I panicked and almost had a wreck trying to roll down the window! She loved sticking her head out the window while I was driving and had stepped on the button to roll the window up!
So, this is just a small glimpse into the crazy things I think about when I can't sleep! Maybe I can get some sleep now....I have a meeting at 8:00am and I can NOT be late! Who wants to call and make sure I'm awake?! :)

3 comments:

  1. Dana, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading ALL of your posts so far! I'm so glad you're doing this blog! This post especially made me laugh out loud!!! You are so funny and it really comes across in your writing! Thanks for another glimpse into your crazy life. Believe it or not, we all go through similar, crazy things . . . we're just not brave enough to document it!! Ha-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Nikii! :) Let's definitely get together soon! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you're learning... All newer cars now have their switches operating in the exact opposite way for just this reason. They are recessed and leaning on them opens the window instead of closing it.

    ReplyDelete