Monday, April 30, 2012

Concern

One of my coworkers is retiring. Today we were talking and she says this to me...

"With me leaving, the person I'm most worried about is you."

I didn't know what to think about that statement...I could be really offended...but mostly I was confused. I said, "Why are you worried about me?" She told me that she feels like I am getting burned out. She has noticed a change in my attitude, my energy, and my enthusiasm. She seemed genuinely concerned for my well being.

Most of my friends know that the last couple of years have been stressful for me as a teacher. I am finishing my 15th year of teaching and each year the job responsibilities keep adding up, but the amount of time to complete those responsibilities is being decreased. For 3 years I have had no planning time during the school day. I was told that planning time during the day is not a guarantee and I could plan before or after school. None of this comes from my school's administration....they are AMAZING and supportive. Every substitute that I have had this year has commented on my crazy schedule. Fortunately I have 30 minutes for lunch this year. Last year I only had 15 minutes. I basically do what needs to be done in order to provide each student with all of their service time...unfortunately it seems that this is burning me out. I have seriously considered other career opportunities, but I absolutely love my school, my coworkers, and my students. I am seeing things slowly improve...and I love the year-round schedule with the breaks that always seem to fall at just the right time!

I am hoping and praying that my attitude/lack of enthusiasm hasn't been noticed or felt by my students. In my heart I sincerely hope that my students know how much I love them. One little boy actually cried when he couldn't come to my class one day because I was in a meeting (I am sure there were others who cheered...LOL!) Last week as I was walking down the hall with my lunch in my hands, the grandmother of another student said, "Let me hold that. He needs a hug and he said you're the only one who gives real hugs." That melted my heart!!

As Teacher Appreciation Week approaches, please take the time to thank the teachers who have made an impact in your life or your child's life. I have a file of "Special Keepsakes" that includes letters from parents and students....when I am having "one of those days" I pull them out and I feel recharged!

Only a few more weeks until summer break.......
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment