Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Decisions

Some of you already knew that I entered Joseph and Eli into the lottery for Voyager Academy (a local charter school) just to see what would happen....much to my surprise they were both accepted. I really didn't think they would have a chance at getting in...I had told myself that if by some chance they were accepted we would decline the spots. Well, once I saw the emails saying they were both accepted I began questioning everything and became surprisingly emotional. Jarrod told me that he would support whatever decision I made since he is in Maryland and can't help with daily school issues (transportation, packing lunches, conferences, projects, homework, etc.)  Here are some of the questions people asked me...and some questions I asked myself...

Why would you enter them into the lottery if you didn't want the spots? Isn't that unfair to those parents who REALLY wanted those spots?
I started feeling really guilty about entering them into the lottery, especially after reading several Facebook posts from other parents who were upset that their children didn't get in. I simply wanted to keep all options open. Once they were accepted I spent MANY nights questioning everything! I thought it would be an easy choice, but it was far from easy!

Why would you consider sending them to Voyager when Easley is such a great school?
This was the most emotional part of my decision...I love Easley...I love my coworkers...Joseph has had a great experience there...Eli is so excited about being at the "big school" with Mommy and Joseph in July. Of course there are challenges with having your children at the same school where you teach, but there would be challenges no matter what choice I made. The main reason I was considering Voyager is because there are concerns about our high school option (test scores, crime, etc.)

Are you crazy? How could you turn down this opportunity?
Ultimately I decided to leave my boys at Easley and I am at peace with my decision. A lot can change within Durham Public Schools by the time Joseph and Eli are ready for high school. Sure, I've heard Voyager is a good school, but I've also talked to people who weren't happy there. Every school will have its challenges. Am I setting up my children to fail academically by staying in Durham Public Schools? I don't believe so. I have faith that God is in control of every detail of their schooling. He has made it clear to me that Easley is the place my children should be at this point. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't consider other options in the future.

I have a lot of friends who have children at Voyager and I do not want them to think that I am criticizing their choice. Each family has to decide what is best for them! That's what Jarrod and I have done for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment