Friday, January 6, 2012

JUNK!

I survived the challenge to clean out and organize the "junk drawer." It is now used for pens, pencils, paper clips, notepads, etc. Joseph was a big help with this project. He enjoyed sorting through everything, but had a hard time with getting rid of the trash. He had a reason to keep each thing I put in the trash pile. I tried to explain the reason that we are decluttering and he agreed that it feels good to look at an area that is neat and organized. To see the "before" picture of the junk drawer, check out my last post. Here is the "after" picture:


I also completed a couple of other projects: get rid of hair things that I don't wear anymore and toss expired skin care products. I recently went through a lot of the "junk" in my bathroom, so there wasn't a lot that I needed to throw away this time. My next project is to get rid of expired medications. I will take this opportunity to organize our medicine cabinet (it's actually a shelf.)

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement! I now look forward to posting on the blog after each project...not because I want to "show off," but because I want to encourage those of you who are also struggling with clutter to join me on this journey. It's actually quite embarrassing to post the "before" pictures, but I think it's important to document my progress.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Dana! I'm proud of you and your determination to stick to your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana! That's fantastic, girl! How did you filter what to get rid of. There are like a million categories of precious junk in my junk drawer, I don't know how to filter it and where to put the stuff I do want to keep and how to decide what to store in there and what not to. Got some tips? You're inspiring! -KT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, sorry I didn't reply before now. It has been a busy week being back at work. When I started going through that junk drawer, I thought about the things that I'm normally looking for when I go in that drawer....usually pens, note paper, etc. The other things that no longer belonged in that drawer went in the trash, donation box, or more appropriate areas of the house. We had several phone chargers, so I put them in a pile for Jarrod to go through when he gets home. I'm so glad that I'm inspiring you! :) thanks for continuing to read the blog...and thanks for being one of my biggest cheerleaders!

    ReplyDelete